Tuesday, September 25, 2007

It finally happened...

Ellie's been a wonderful baby thus far. We have no complaints whatsoever. With that said, EM had to work late last night and I ran into my first real tough time with the little one. I didn't try any new tricks to work through it, I just waited for EM to get home and do what only a mother can do. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a very long and painful wait.

Today, Ellie revisited last night's ugly pattern. This time I lasted about an hour before I decided it was time to try a new trick. I've read about it, I've heard others talk about it and I figured it was just a matter of time before I had to do it myself... the car ride. So screaming and fussing, I put the little one in her car seat and off we went. Once the car started, the fussing stopped. Then, after a few miles, she was out. We came home, I put her in the crib and all was right with the world again.

It's trying times like today and last night that really test a parent's resolve. However, I then read the paper and everything was put in proper perspective. Please hug and love your children more and, as you do, say a prayer for Keri, Copeland and Kellyn.

-ED

1 comment:

Ruth Anne Adams said...

I never had to resort to the car trip, but what you're helping her learn is how to comfort herself. My friend suggested the rhythmic, calming effect of patting the little one's butt repeatedly while the little one is lying face down in their crib. It's a lot quicker than a car ride. Also: have I shown you the high-shoulder carry? Another friend taught us this. Sling the baby onto your shoulder like a fireman's carry, with her middle being on your scapular. Then reach over and pat her back until quieted. We have several photos of Zeke asleep in that position.

These are good times.