Saturday, November 8, 2008

727 days . . .

. . . Ellie and I have been attached in one way or another. She was in utero 253 days. Then it became an attachment to feed my baby, to help her grow and thrive, 16 months and 17 days to be exact. At first it was hard. Probably the hardest thing I have ever done. I was sore for months. It was not comfortable for her to latch on until maybe when she was about 3-4 months old. But we made it through. After awhile it did become enjoyable to have that time to hold, feed, and comfort my baby.

I fed Ellie every other hour at first. Slowly it turned into every 3-4 hours. By eight weeks she was sleeping 6-8 hour stretches at night. I returned to work when Ellie was 11 weeks old. I fed her in the a.m., pumped twice at work, and fed her 2-3 times after work. As she was turning 7-8 months she started dropping feedings. By one year I was just feeding her in the morning before work and then in the evening before bed. Over the summer she dropped the morning feeding and started to sleep later. And now in the past few days she dropped the last feeding, the best feeding of them all, the one right before bed.

The amazing thing is that none of this weaning has been difficult. Ellie and I just knew when it was time. Over the past few weeks she has been very insistent that she needed milk from mommy. After bath time we would move to our bedroom, play, and watch tv. If I sat in the milk chair she would have a fit. "Milk, milk, milk." Her last feeding was Tuesday night. She asked for milk. She couldn't focus though. She wanted to talk to Daddy. Since then I haven't sat in the milk chair and she hasn't asked for it. So as far as I can say now, breastfeeding is over.

I am so happy that we made it this far, but I am sad to see it go. I will miss having that time with Ellie to hold her, to cuddle with her with her focus on me. I will miss her falling asleep while feeding... so content. We will just have to find other ways and times to cuddle and love each other.

I love you Ellie Rose. You are growing up so fast. This sure is a sign that you are not a baby anymore.

Love, Mama

5 comments:

Ellie's Parents said...

I remember the tension, the agony on your face in those early days. It was hard work for you and her. But, I'm so proud of you both for sticking it out. The rewards have been many and are self-evident. Congratulations and condolences on this milestone. I'm one very grateful husband and father. I love you both very much.

Anonymous said...

Job very well done!

Anonymous said...

That made me cry. How sweet. I am very proud of you for all your hard work. I know you enjoyed those moments with your daughter but I also want to make sure Miss Ellie knows how exhausting it was at the same time. Ellie, your mom needs a hug...you be nice to her and no being sassy...she fed you when she was tired, really, really tired.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE MY GIRLS.
LOVE, NANNY

Ruth Anne Adams said...

You have written a beautiful remembrance and, more importantly, given her a precious gift.