Wednesday, November 14, 2007

We had to try

New parents, it seems, get bombarded with offers for this product or that service and so on and so forth. Not much of it, in my opinion, is tempting. However, one item in particular did arouse my curiosity - a photo session. I don't know why, but I just wanted to see how "professional" photos might differ from ours. So today we took Ellie to one of the local establishments for just such an experiment.

The place seemed nice enough. I especially liked that they had what appeared to be 42" screens for customers to view, and ultimately select, the photos they wanted. Our photographer seemed pleasant enough and competent; and, we really did get some nice photos of Ellie in a multitude of poses, backgrounds and outfits. But the devil, as they say, is in the details - in this case, it's the price. To get a decent number of poses printed is going to set you back an inordinate amount of money; especially once you consider that you may not even give out all of the photos, and the poses you don't select are lost forever.

Anyhow, EM and I left with the "el-cheapo" package along with the knowledge and confidence that we can - from time to time - take photos just as well as the pros; the only difference being their superior lighting. When you factor that in along with the cost savings of doing it yourself, it seems to be a no-brainer. I'm not saying we won't go this route again; but, it will be very seldom that we do. So, without further delay, here is the final result:




-ED

3 comments:

Ruth Anne Adams said...

I did this, too. I took Zeke to the Picture People in the mall at 3 months old. Never went back. The next "studio" portrait was the family pic for the church directory almost 4 years later. My brother's work is exponentially better and infinitely cheaper [FREE to the family!]. Here's a question: Would you ever put that portrait on the masthead? If not, you know that lighting, clever poses, multiple outfits will never duplicate a real moment caught by EM or ED.

Ellie's Parents said...

We would be lucky, indeed, if we had someone with Paul's talent in our family.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I snagged one of Ellie's fancy photos...it's already framed and on display in my casa.