Saturday, January 3, 2009

Bilingual baby

EM and I aren't bilingual. Far from it. That does not, however, alter our understanding that it is increasingly important in our multi-cultural society to have such skills. As such, I was pleasantly surprised tonight, as I read Ellie a Dora book, to learn that our daughter is well on her way to being bilingual.

According to the story, Dora must return her books to the library. After many obstacles she arrives at the library only to find it is closed. But by saying the Spanish word for open - abre - the door should magically open. So tonight when Dora asked Ellie for her help, Ellie chimed right in with "abre." And whadyaknow? It worked.

-ED

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's more than my kids here in El Paso know lol. Try this one out....Te Amo (sounds like tay). Means I love you.