Saturday, October 18, 2008

Defiance

Ellie has known how to say "no" for a while now. She has also begun to exercise a bit more independence from time-to-time. However, until today she has never combined the two; at least not with me. That's all over now.

After spending the morning at the Tanglewood Heart and Stroke Walk, we came home in desperate need of thawing out. In doing so, I wanted Ellie to wear some thicker socks. So with socks in hand, I said several times "Ellie come here so we can put your socks on." I think after the third time I said it, she looked me straight in the eyes and said "no."

Huh? You're telling me no?! You, the light of my life, my darling little girl, told me no. What the frick?! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Seriously, I had to think for a minute about what to do.

Once I recovered, I quietly walked over to her, grabbed her arm and walked her over to where I wanted her so that I could put her socks on. She resisted a little. She fussed a little. But, in the end, the socks went on her feet and order was restored.

-ED

1 comment:

Ruth Anne Adams said...

Have you ever seen a full-grown elephant at the circus? It's chained down with a tent peg and a rope. The juvenile elephants are held there with steel chain and ultra-deep metal stake. Winning while they're little makes is easier all the way 'round.

And I do not mean you are 'breaking her spirit' because that would be awful. I do mean 'asserting your authority as parent and gaining her compliance.'

A wise co-worker warned me that sometimes the biggest battle is within yourself: look stern vs. bust out laughing.

Yeah, Daddy!