Monday, July 21, 2008

Education

Up until last week, daddy daycare has been very unstructured; and, I guess it still is. However, over the last few weeks, it has become clear to me that Ellie is taking in more and more information as evidenced by her ever increasing vocabulary. As such, I have decided to get a little more disciplined in teaching Ellie things during our time together.

Thus far, what I've envisioned are days with themes: Mondays are number days, Tuesdays are alphabet days, etc. It's nothing intense or overly involved. I'm just trying to make sure that each day we spend some amount of time, no matter how little, working on some basic concepts.

I've yet to research the matter, so there's nothing about this little endeavor that is based in educational theory and the like. It's just my low brow approach to being more assertive in the development of my baby girl. Anyhow, my question for you parents and/or educators is what should I be doing to help expand her mind?

-ED

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It is great to start them as early as possible. I began with Nicholas at 20 months with "homework" everyday. He enjoyed it very much and picked up so quickly. I had him on the computer at 2. "Homework" was never a bad word until he started school. I've still got many of his workbooks and artwork. Note: because she is so little, whenever you have her start drawing, ask her what she drew, write it down on the back of the drawing along with the date. Nick enjoys looking back at some of that now and so do I.

Ruth Anne Adams said...

Fluency in English is important. That's most easily done by having an ongoing conversation with her and don't edit to baby words. Speak to her like you would to a colleague. One learns vocab from context. Zeke knew 'magnanimous' at 15 months because he knew that it meant an extra book [only one was a given; additional books required the question, 'Mama, are you feeling magnanimous?'] And why shouldn't a kid know a hematoma from an abrasion? Our language is the largest and most awesome one. It has absorbed words from Greek, Latin, Hebrew, German, Japanese and more and never been overtaken by them.